Print this page

Belgrade churches

Rate this item
(0 votes)

The preparations for the construction of one of the greatest Orthodox cathedrals in the world began in 1894. The Cathedral is built on the very spot where, according to tradition, the relics of Sveti Sava were brought from Mileseva monastery and burnt, following the orders of Sinan Pasha in 1594. The construction was interrupted by the bombardment at the beginning of World War II, and continued in 1985.

The Monument to Karadjordje was built in 1985, in in the memory of Djordje Petrovic Karadjordje, the leader of the first Serbian Uprising. The very location of the monument is where Karadjordje’s camp used to be in 1806.

Read 5553 times

Image Gallery